Tuesday, September 8, 2009

TODAY'S ECONOMY

Today's economy sucks. It truly sucks. How do I know? Well, I can give you some examples. Back in the early days of McDonald's, their ad campaign went like this: "You can get a burger, fries and a drink and still get change back from a dollar." Today it's: "Now accepting major credit cards."

Gasoline prices? Heh. I used to drive an extra two miles to the self-service station to get gas for 23 cents a gallon rather than pay 26 cents at the Texaco station. Of course, I had to pump it myself and no neatly dressed attendant came out to check my oil and water, clean my windshield, and give me a snappy salute as I drove off. "You can trust your car to the man that wears the star.....the big red Texaco star." I remember my dad would pull in the station and tell the guy: "Give me a bucks worth." Today, that might get you home. Back then you thought nothing of saying: "Fill it up." Today, you might have to take out a loan.

Sandwich bread was two for 29 cents. I get the same size at the discount bread store for $1.60 and half the time it's day old. You can tell from the color code of the plastic tie. (I used to work for Continental Baking Company (Wonder Bread), so I know). A cold 8 ounce bottle of Coke from a machine was 5 cents. From a vending machine nowadays, it's a dollar or more. And vending machines back then only had coin slots, no dollar bill slots. What's that tell you? Brand name cigarettes were $2.00 or less for a carton. The only brands you can get under $50 a carton now are generics. Milk was delivered to your house at about 30 cents a quart. Now, drive to Wal-Mart and get it for $1.29. (Don't forget to figure in the gas you just used).

List price on a 1964 Mustang was $1594. They are now worth $20,000 or more restored. So if you still got yours you can trade it in along with about $5,000 more for a new Toyota. Back in 1968 you could get a nice furnished three room apartment for $30 a week. (I know, I had one). Try about $30 a day now unfurnished ($900 a month). In some cities that will get you a room. Back then you had three choices for TV: ABC, NBC, or CBS. If you didn't like what was on, you played a game or read a book. (Read a book?) But it was free. Today, you can get over 500 channels at over $100 per month. But how many of these channels do I actually watch? Well, ABC, NBC, and CBS.......mostly. If I want to watch a recent movie I have to pay extra.

It might sound to everyone that I would rather live in the past. Well, no. Look at all the great stuff we have today that wasn't around back then. I wouldn't want to give up all that. But here's the problem. Wages have not kept up with expenses. Let's do the math. Take bread for example. Back then 15 cents a loaf; today $1.60.....over ten times more. Minimum wage back in 1965 was $1.25 an hour (No kidding). At the same ten to one ratio, today's minimum wage should be $12.50 an hour. Is it? NOPE!! It's about half that. I rest my case. Today's economy sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment