Saturday, October 17, 2009

I'M OFFENDED BY EVERYTHING

I am so sick of groups claiming they find something offensive and therefore that offensive thing, word, idea, whatever should be removed from store shelves, TV screens, billboards, general use, whatever. Guess what? I find your claims offensive. Stick that in your sneaker.

Team names or mascots have been declared offensive to certain groups. Most notable are the college and high school teams that have had to change their team name. My own alma mater, Natick High School, for years known as the Redmen, was forced to change their name. I think they are the "Reds" now. (Any communists out there find that offensive?). Pro sports doesn't seem to have been affected so much. We still have the Redskins, the Indians, and the Blackhawks. The Devil Rays became the Rays. I guess a church complained. I don't know. The only college team that still bears a native American name are the Florida State Seminoles. They are specially licensed by the Seminole tribe to use the name. "License" implies payment of a fee (to me it does anyway). So are these people that claim to be offended just looking for a payoff? Makes you wonder.

The latest in the "I'm offended by that" (boo hoo) category is the illegal alien halloween costume. Immigrant rights groups are raising hell about it. They claim it is insensitive to the plight of immigrants. Hello? Legal immigrants.....no problem. The only ones that should be offended by it are illegal aliens. Good! Get the hell out! No one asked you to come here anyway. The costume consists of an orange prison jumpsuit that is imprinted with "ILLEGAL ALIEN", an alien mask (ET style), and a giant green card (green card? I thought a green card made you legal.) If you want to buy one of these costumes, you could have a problem. Target says it won't sell it, a few places have pulled it from the shelves, and Walgreens says it won't be sold in stores and it is out of stock online. I guess I'll just have to wear my serial killer costume again this year. Nobody finds that offensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment